Monday, May 18, 2009

Still here!

Hi. I know it seems as though I might have dropped off the face of the Earth. Really, I just didn't have internet at home until recently.

I am still trying to figure out what is coming next. I have figured out that I am pretty good with logistics and I enjoy them. I would like to work with an organization that focuses on helping people without just giving stuff out. While I have understood that people appreciate something that is earned far more than what is given; this has really be reinforced over the last three years.

I was recently in a conversation about a $30 USD a month being given to some of the poorest families in a Central American country, this would be the equivalent of a lot more. The parents in the family had to attend parenting classes including health information. The children in the family had to stay in school. On the surface this seems like a no-brainer. There are people who would like to determine what the families do with the money. One of the "problems" is some of the families treated themselves to a fast food dinner with their earnings. Do you think that there should be additional stipulations on how the money is spent? -Or- Should the families be able to do what they choose to with the money?

No comments: