Tuesday, July 15, 2008

If the blog isn't written, it's me...

For those of you that might miss the twisted reference, there is a Jimmy Buffett song that seems somewhat apropos.

While Mom stretches her legs in Europe I will be doing a tour of sorts around the northern and middle sections of Belize.

I will be heading north to Bacalar Chico National Park and Marine Reserve first. Just found out a few hours ago that I will be heading up on Wednesday to do conch surveys. Conch season ended last month and it is time to see how the population is holding up. While my despise (ie. lack of skill) for lobster surveys is quite great, conch surveys are much better. See below for a comparison.

  1. Conch don't hang out on the reef so much so I avoid the very shallow and sharp areas- Lobsters love those dangerous and hard to reach/see spots
  2. Conch move at an amazingly fast pace for their dynamics but still easy to catch- Lobsters, now you see them, now you don't!
  3. Conch blend with their environment so you have to concentrate- Lobsters dart out of site so it doesn't really matter
  4. Never been harassed by a suckerfish during a conch survey- Frequently harassed by suckerfish during lobster surveys
Please note: the reasons to enjoy conch surveys more than lobster aren't nearly as clear until you get to #4.

I should be back Monday and heading out to Belmopan or Belize City on the next boat. I have my annual check up starting Tuesday. This time if I don't pass I don't get to stay to do the Peace Corps Volunteer Leader position. So here is hoping that I don't have some kind of bizarre tropical disorder that must be cured in the States.

I finish on Thursday and hopefully will get to stay and try to figure out some of the details of what will be going on with the staff in the office for my new job.

Depending where I finish on Thursday I may be staying in Belmopan or Belize. Friday I will most likely be heading to Corozal for the weekend and possibly a quick trip to Mexico. There is a soccer game this weekend and I haven't been to one yet this year. I am looking forward to the quick trip.

Sunday I will catch the boat back to San Pedro or Caye Caulker depending on the situation with the surveys (see below).

Sunday evening or Monday morning I will head to Caye Caulker for fish surveys. These will be fun since I haven't dove in the Caye Caulker Marine Reserve yet. Back to SP for a meeting that night (unless I hear otherwise). Then back to Caye Caulker the next morning. Will probably be out there until Friday.

Once I return I don't expect to want to leave the island for quite some time.

1 comment:

Ashley said...

I'm impressed to read that you are singlehandedly supporting the entire Belizean public transportation system this week! Lol - hope you're enjoying the travels and of COURSE keep me up-to-date on the physical.