Monday, July 28, 2008

Pups and Updates

During my time in Belize I have had a fabulous guard dog network of sorts.

At the Reserve I have Renee to watch out for me. There really isn't much to watch out for there. While the occasional tourist or even local fisherman may pose a "threat" and she defends me, her biggest job is to keep the evil iguanas at bay.

At my home in town I have a whole crew to keep me safe. Max and Blue are the two most fearsome of the crew. Max is the old guard dog that is kind enough to people he knows he should trust. Others, well, they are ok if one of us is out and about. Blue, well Blue is another story all together different. Blue has bitten at least one person that he knows well and has certain ideals about people on the outside of the gate. If he knows you and loves you, you are ok once you are inside. If he knows you and doesn't like you or doesn't know you at all, just stay out! He is a short little guy but I have seen him nearly jump the 5 feet tall fence trying to get at someone. Sweetie and Poppy do enough barking, but really, they are small and not so fierce looking. It doesn't help that Sweetie rolls over and displays her belly while wagging her tail or runs under the porch and barks. If Poppy didn't like the intruder I feel comfortable saying that he would probably go after them as well.

With all this being said, I know more about crime on the island that many probably do, just because of my assignment. People with dogs just don't get broken into like those without. While this may not be always true, there is a correlation. Moving to Belmopan (and away from my crew) makes me want to get a dog. This does not exactly fit into my plans for the future, however, I feel that there is a strong argument for a new friend in my life.

I have been making lists of pros and cons for a while now. Talked several friends' ears off nearly trying to make a decision. I have an email out to someone who has a dog here and her thoughts on the situation. So, the decision has not been made final, but after last night's conversation with a dog owner I am leaning back to the "get one" side.

SAGA had a fundraiser yesterday and I had hoped to make it out. However at that time Dorothy and I were getting ready for Steve's farewell. Mashing avocados for guacamole and decorating chocolate (made from scratch) cupcakes kept us busy. While the decorating didn't compare with the last batch, they were still tasty.

So you can try your hand at from scratch chocolate cake try the recipe below. I promise it is just chocolaty enough and lighter than you would think possible. Enjoy!

Chocolate Cake

Full Size

1 ¾ cups---------- Flour

2 cups-------------- Sugar

¾ cup--------------- Cocoa

1 ½ tsp------------- Baking Soda

1 ½ tsp------------- Baking Powder

1 cup--------------- Boiling Water

1 tsp---------------- Salt

2--------------------- Eggs

1 cup--------------- Milk

½ cup--------------- Vegetable Oil

2 tsp---------------- Vanilla

½ Size

1 cup +1 tbs------ Flour

1 cup--------------- Sugar

¼ cup + 2 tbs---- Cocoa

¾ tsp--------------- Baking Soda

¾ tsp--------------- Baking Powder

½ cup--------------- Boiling Water

½ tsp--------------- Salt

1--------------------- Egg

½ cup--------------- Milk

¼ cup--------------- Vegetable Oil

1 tsp---------------- Vanilla


1 ½ Size

2 ½ + 1/3 cups---- Flour

3 cups-------------- Sugar

1 1/8 cup----------- Cocoa

2 ¼ tsp------------- Baking Soda

2 ¼ tsp------------- Baking Powder

1 ½ cup------------ Boiling Water

1 ½ tsp------------- Salt

3--------------------- Eggs

1 ½ cup------------ Milk

¾ cup--------------- Vegetable Oil

3 tsp---------------- Vanilla

« Choose the size of cake you want

« Combine dry ingredients in a bowl

« Add eggs, milk, oil, vanilla

« Beat for 2 minutes at medium speed

« Stir in boiling water slowly

« Batter will be thin

« Pour into greased and floured pan

« Bake in a preheated oven @ 350° F for 35-40 minutes or until inside is cooked

3 comments:

Jessica said...

Um, yum!

Alli said...

hope the "yum" is in reference to the cake and not the pups! ;^)

Jorge said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.